Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mmm, brussels sprouts.





OK, I know this is probably not going to garner me ANY favors, but I have a secret to tell you. Come closer. Closer than that.


Are you ready?


I love brussels sprouts.

No, really, I do! They are DELICIOUS. And today, I'm going to teach you to love them, too. This is a recipe that I've adapted from my charming ex-roomie, Mariya, who was kind enough to show me the light (and who should really get a food blog!). Enjoy!





Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

1 lb of brussels sprouts, rinsed, trimmed, and cut in half

1/2 lb of carrots, rinsed and cut into chunks (you can roughly chop them to whatever size you'd like)

A few glugs of olive oil (I rarely use specific measurements when it comes to olive oil--you want to have enough for the vegetables to cook in, you can always add more; it's harder to take some away, though, so be careful!)

1/2 of a large, sweet onion, or 1 yellow onion

3 garlic cloves, diced

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

3/4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken/turkey stock)

Salt and pepper to taste


Directions

Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, add your brussels sprouts and carrots. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring and allowing the veggies to brown up and soften a bit. Add the onions, cooking and stirring for about 10 minutes; the goal here is to get everything brown a little bit--you don't want to burn anything, just slightly browned. Add in the garlic and cook for about a minute. Now add in the balsamic vinegar and stock (I've found it helps to mix them in the measuring cup). Cook for about 15-20 minutes, allowing things to simmer and reduce. If you need, add more stock. Add salt and pepper to taste, and you're done!


Now, tell me that wasn't delicious, hmmm? Have I changed your mind about brussels sprouts?

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, hope to see more recipes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I can 100% agree with your little blurb in the about me..I will be reading this often I love food blogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete